Our Commitment to the Future
Giesen Wines is committed to environmentally sustainable wine production. The three Giesen brothers consider the future for their children and grandchildren and believe they are guardians of the land and the business environment and therefore strive to manage the company with this in mind. For Giesen sustainability is a constant evolution, which is achieved by continually challenging the way we operate and monitoring and minimising our environmental impact.
With an eye to the future in 2009 the Giesen brothers embarked on a new path of organics. Initially ripping out a poor performing 8.4-hectare vineyard and leaving the land fallow for a year before replanting the Ridge Block Vineyard in October 2010 as wholly organic, close-planted Pinot Noir and Syrah. Additionally, Clayvin vineyard is certified organic with BioGro New Zealand.
Additionally we have made the following commitments to sustainability:
- Using biological organic fertilisers on all our vineyards.
- Carefully considering sustainability when purchasing plant and machinery.
- Increasing use of organic and/or natural formulations to manage vine health and soils in all our vineyards.
- Continually monitoring waste with the aim of waste reduction, reuse and recycling.
- Actively seeking possibilities to increase efficiency, particularly in water, fuel and electricity usage.